Monday, September 27

3:15 am
San Jose

Trying to wind myself down to go to sleep.  Brain won’t stop.

Cate called again while I was onstage.  Said she knew I’d be worried so she wanted to leave me a message to say she arrived safely, she was at the Embassy, and she would be staying on the U.S. compound the whole time she’s in Bogota.  Thank God.  She’ll be there a week or two. I’ll probably be back home before she is.  

After that message she called right back and left me another one.  No work stuff, no checking in, no travel plans or details or I-can’t-tell-you shit.   Just a list of the reasons she loves me, how I make her feel, how she can’t wait to make love to me again. 

I’ve replayed it about a hundred times.  I can close my eyes and see her smile.  Wearing her scarf around my neck, the one she always slips in my bag before I leave.  I can smell her perfume. 

She knows me so well, always knows how to comfort me, to talk me down when I get spun up.  Even when she’s not here.  The only thing better will be when I can hold her again. 


1:10 pm
San Jose Airport

Finally got some sleep.  Talked to Cate when I woke up.  Everything looks better by the light of day.

She’s fine, working so couldn’t talk long.  She assured me she’s not doing ops in Colombia; just meetings.  That makes me feel better, though she didn’t say who she’s meeting with.  I assume with Colombian federal police and our people at the Embassy, probably military types too.  I don’t need or want to know – don’t need to get myself spun up again like last night.

Fantastic show last night – one of those almost out-of-body experiences I occasionally have.   Was so in the zone I don’t really remember the performance, but I do remember the crowd.  It was small—a LOT of empty stadium out there—but their energy was incredible.  I looked around at all those faces and just couldn’t believe it.  There were actually TEARS in a lot of those eyes.  Felt like the old days, back on Slippery and Jersey, when the audiences were just frenetic.  Such passion.  I could have sung all night. 

I needed a show like last night to jump-start me.  Just haven’t felt myself this leg.  I’m not phoning it in by any means—still leaving my pound of flesh out there under the lights.  But I just haven’t been able to focus like usual.  Maybe it’s because I know this is a short swing and then I’m back home again until December.  Hard to get amped up for the short sets sometimes. 

I miss my family, but no more than usual.  Cate’s trip has me a little worried, but I didn’t know about it until yesterday.  The thing with Steph has me a little freaked out too.  Maybe that’s the problem—I can’t quite get past the boyfriend yet.  I feel like I need to get back home and talk to Steph one-on-one about this.  Maybe then I’ll be able to let it go.

My caveman instinct must be kicking in.  Man have to protect woman and child, feel helpless when can’t.  Ugh.

Christ, I sound like a psychiatrist, analyzing myself.  Ha ha.

On to Lima today if we ever get out of the fucking airport.  On hour 4 of weather delay now.  Great way to spend the day, hiding in a corner of the VIP lounge with a briefcase full of paperwork.    

5:30 pm

Pop the champagne corks, folks!  PK just came over and told us the rumor is true – we’re being nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!  Official announcement in the morning. 

Know I have to play it cool, but I can’t stop fucking grinning.  I really thought we would be snubbed again this year.  It’s all political bullshit as to who gets in and who doesn’t, but it’s the fucking R&R HALL OF FAME.  How can we not be excited?  Trying not to get my hopes up too much that we’ll actually make it in, but this is the first step. 

PK doesn’t know who all else is nominated but said he heard Alice and Tom Waits were on the short list too.  Both would be great company in an induction class.  They both should have been in years ago, but that’s another rant.  Celebrate what we can first.

Still stuck in airport, so may as well have a party!

No comments:

Post a Comment