Thursday, December 23

9:00 pm
Home

Just a couple hours to go until I get to surprise Cate.  I've been looking forward to this all damned day.  Been driving her crazy, reminding her tonight's the big night and grinning like a Cheshire Cat.  At one point she threatened to interrogate me if I didn't shut up and stop taunting her, ha ha.

She's in the shower now, getting ready for the evening.  Told her to dress casual, be comfortable.  She's not gonna be in those clothes for long anyway, no sense in her getting all dressed up fancy.

Today flew by.  Probably because I was asleep for a good part of it.  Starting to get my body back into the right time zone, but still pretty tired.  I told Cate to be sure I was up by noon, so that's when she woke me up.  Noon on the dot.  Unfortunately for me all she did was give me a kiss and shake my shoulder and say "rise and shine."  Yesterday's wakeup call was much more fun.

The benefit last night was fantastic.  We got to the store around 7:00, made the rounds, had a couple drinks and some nosh.  The Vets and families arrived at 8:30, after their show let out.  Absolutely amazing people.  I was humbled to be in their presence, not just the soldiers who survived some truly horrific injuries (including a female soldier who lost a leg, an arm, and an eye), but their families as well.  Every day for them is a new battle, a struggle to find a new normal in their lives.

Hearing their stories made what I do for a living seem so petty and small.  But Cate reminded me that my music brings hope and good memories to so many people, and that is my contribution to making this world a better place.  Reason 1,543,678 why I love my wife so much--she has a way of putting everything in perspective and making me feel like I matter.  She also kicks my ass when I skew that perspective to convince myself I'm more important than I really am, ha ha.

The set went well; the reaction was so rewarding.  Did Superman, Prayer, Here Comes the Sun, I Wish Everyday Could Be Like Christmas, Keep the Faith, Wanted, and Welcome to Wherever You Are.  Was only gonna do 4 songs, but the guys and gals kept egging me on so I kept playing.  Welcome was Cate's suggestion, and it was perfect.  I thought I sounded pretty raw, but apparently it was fine to the audience so I'm not gonna worry about it.  One of the best sets I've done in a long time, in terms of heart and emotion.

It was so fun watching Cate at the benefit last night.  Normally she's pretty quiet and subdued when we do the parties and press things and red carpets.  But last night she was all smiles, making the rounds and talking to everybody.  I also caught her ogling the shoes and bags in the display, ha ha.  She may not like to shop but she does have a weak spot for pretty shoes, like most women.  She was definitely in her element.

I better get ready to go myself.  Got the first part of the present all ready to go; can't wait to see Cate's reaction to the photos.  After all the shit I put up with from Matt and the guys, she'd damned well better like them!  Ha ha.  I'm sure she will.

I think I'm more excited than she is.  After all, I stand to benefit from this too.  The gift that keeps on giving, ha ha.

Merry Christmas to Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment