Tuesday, December 14

2:30 pm
Brisbane

Gorgeous day here.  Hot and sticky, just like I like it.

Busy busy morning.  Flew in to Sydney last night, got up this morning and hit the ground running.  Breakfast, a couple conference calls for the Foundation, workout, taped Oprah's show, hit the plane, wheels up.  Lunch in the air, reviewed the schedule for the rest of the week, did some paperwork.  Hotel here, took care of a few personal things, including a little online shopping.  Heading for venue in about an hour.

Still not ready for Christmas, but I'm getting there.

Most importantly, got the arrangements finalized for a little time alone with Cate.  She insisted we stay in Jersey until after New Year's to spend time with my kids, but once they're back in school I'm gonna steal her away for a few days all to myself.  Three days is all we could work out, but three days is better than nothing.  But we'll ring in the New Year together in style, probably at Count Basie with Southside.  She'll like that.

Best of all, what I cooked up is a surprise.  I refused to tell Cate where I'm taking her, other than that it's not far away and it's somewhere we can relax and just be together.  Sentimental fool I am, I know she's gonna love it.  As for me, we could go to fucking Hoboken for all I care, as long as we're together.

Talked to her just a few minutes ago, not long because she was tired.  She thanked me again for the flowers and giggled a little when I told her she was only a mouse-click away from getting a little blue box from Tiffany before she revealed her little prank.  She of course told me I didn't have to send her anything at all, but I know she loves getting flowers from me.  Think I'll go ahead and send the necklace too, just because.  She deserves all the pretty things I can give her, and then some.

She's having a Hell of a week so far, and it's only Monday night back there.  The Madoff thing is tragic, but it has even wider repercussions in terms of the ongoing lawsuits and investigations.  Cate's gotten called into the Bureau's case because of her financial crimes expertise.  Weird it happened in our building; I knew he lived there but we never had any interaction.  Sad.  Another baby growing up without a Daddy in this fucked-up world.

Anyway, Cate said she's gonna be working crazy hours this week so it may be hard to catch up with her.  I told her I'm still a little concerned about her because of what happened last week with Dorothea and Steph; she of course told me not to worry.  But as she said it I still heard that little note of sadness in her voice.  Dammit, I need to get to the bottom of this.  Maybe she'll finally confide in me when we're back together, hidden away together in our private little paradise.

She was drowsy, drifting a little, so we whispered a few sweet nothings and said goodbye.  I'll call her again after the show, when she's waking up.

I'll be back home in a week.  Counting the minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm....hope he finds out what happened...and writes about it! LOL

    Yeah, send her the necklace too. A reward for a successful punk! LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope Cate doesn't have more going on than he thinks!

    ReplyDelete