Friday, May 13

9:10 am
Hotel

Waking up in Atlanta.  Seems like I just went to sleep.

Great show last night, had a lot of fun.  In Iowa, ha ha.  Not that I'm surprised -- we haven't been there in a long time and Midwestern crowds are always welcoming and enthusiastic.

But it ain't Heaven -- It's Iowa.

The last couple shows have seemed to flow so good, everything's coming easy.  Don't know why, but not gonna complain.  Still feels a little empty up there on stage without Richie, but X is doing a great job.  His energy is keeping everybody Up.  Especially me.

No day off for me today, got the Listening Session thing with Mike today.  I'm really looking forward to it; these kids I've gotten to meet are truly inspiring.  They're so open and frank, not at all awed by the fact there are a bunch of famous faces in the room.

It's humbling for me, and a refreshing change from the constant starry-eyed/suck up vibe that goes on when I'm doing stuff related to my Day Job -- Fan Club things, meet and greets, whatever.  I get it that people want to be near me and can get overcome with their minute in the spotlight, but after awhile it just wears on me.  I ain't that great, people.  But it's part of the job, so I grin and bear it.

This community stuff, on the other hand, is my passion.  Hopefully I'm somehow helping out by doing these things, even if all I can do is point a camera at a program or a mission or a kid with an inspiring story.

Speaking of kids... talked to Jess a few minutes ago.  He was on his way to Capitol Hill for a tour and to meet the NY Congressional delegation.  He sounded barely awake, guess 9:00 am is too early for him to be coherent when he's "on vacation," ha ha.  I told him to pay attention and learn something and he said "whatever."

Apparently he did have a good time last night, though.  He said he liked the monument tour.  Even though Jesse's been to DC a couple dozen times he's never really seen all the monuments, and the tour guide told them all the history and trivia about each one.  He said it was "pretty cool," especially the World War II Memorial.

Cate was enjoying herself too.  She was sending me photos of the different monuments with dirty comments about what we were doing last time we saw each one.  I came off stage and had this big list of texts from her, starting off with a photo of the Washington Monument that said "Baby, I thought you were in Iowa?"  Heh heh.  Naughty Minx.

And that may have been a bit of an exaggeration.  I may be Superman but I ain't exactly 555 feet high and made of marble, ha ha.  Though thinking of my naked Wife can make me feel like it, heh heh.

As for the chaperoning duties, when I talked to Cate last night she said everything was going fine.  Jesse's been pretty laid back, not being goofy or stupid like some of the other kids.  Apparently he's watching Bridget's every move; she's pretending not to pay attention to him.  Cate was chuckling about that -- with her people-reading skills she can tell Bridget is very aware of where Jesse is and that he's watching her.  The little Tease.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

Alright -- gotta get my ass moving, car is gonna be here in about 45 minutes.  Workout will have to wait until this afternoon.

7:20 pm
My Room

Killing a few minutes before heading out for dinner.

Great day today; met some pretty amazing people.  I really think my Foundation can partner up with a couple of the organizations down here and expand upon what the folks have started.  I called Mimi right after the Session was over and told her to find out what we can do.

She laughed and said I get excited about every program and every town, but she's glad to do it.

She's right, I do.  There are so many great programs out there to help kids and families... I always want to stick my finger in every pie.  And I can't.  That's why I have Mimi running the show.  She slaps my hand when she has to, reminds me we can't be everywhere and do everything, rock star ego or not.

Yet another woman in my life who keeps me straight, ha ha.

So I've been getting the reports from the Field Trip all day... things are going good.  I think Cate may be having even more fun than Jess.  They did the Capitol and Supreme Court, then back to the hotel for a couple free hours to shop/chill out/have dinner before they head out to Arlington Cemetery tonight.  Cate and one of the Dads went with Jess and a bunch of kids to Five Guys burgers.  Jess is happy, ha ha. He loves that place.

Man, I wish I could have gone.  I'm seriously craving a cheeseburger right now.

When I talked to Cate earlier she was so cute.  She said she feels like giggling every time one of the kids calls her "Mrs. B."  She's not quite used to that, or to playing Momma.  She's always done volunteer work with kids, through Law Enforcement Explorers and stuff like that, so hanging with teens comes easy for her.  But she's never done it quite like this -- as one of the parents.

She said it feels good.  That just makes me smile.

Tonight at Arlington she's gonna talk to the kids a little about military service.  I guess a couple of the kids are going to lay a wreath on a monument out there or something; not the Tomb of the Unknown but somewhere else.  Jesse's teacher asked Cate if she'd give her perspective and she gladly said yes.

I'm so proud of her, I hope those kids realize just how special Cate is once they hear her story.  I have a feeling they will.  She'll probably get major cool points when they find out what she did in the military, ha ha.  Way more than I'd get if I was there.

That's my Girl.  Cool Momma Cate, ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment