Sunday, May 8

9:30 am
Kitchen

Mother's Day.  And I'm in the kitchen, getting dishpan hands.

But Mission Accomplished.  The Chuckles and I got up early this morning (well, they're always up early) and made breakfast in bed.  For ALL the Mamas in the House.  And one Mama-to-Be.  Eggs and toast and fruit and coffee all around, for Dorothea, Cate, and Gramma Carol.

I'm exhausted, ha ha.

But all the Mamas are happy.  That's what counts.  Dorothea loved the necklace the kids picked out, plus the silly little handmade cards from Jake and Romeo.  Apparently Jess and Steph have their own gifts for her, but Steph's still out in the guest house with her girlfriends and there's no sign of Jess yet.  I bet as soon as Bridget shows up for breakfast he'll be wide awake, ha ha.

I gave D a present too, just a little thank you for being such a wonderful mother and for still being my friend.  A pretty little silver compact mirror for her to carry in her purse. I had it engraved for her.  She seemed to like it, gave me a kiss on the cheek and told me thank you.

After serving up Mama #1's breakfast the Chuckles and I visited Gramma, gave her flowers and a gift certificate to that little boutique she likes out here.  She of course gushed about it, going on about how she is so lucky she has three wonderful boys with their wonderful children, yadda yadda yadda.  And she pinched my cheek.  I really wish she'd stop doing that -- I'm almost 50, for Christ's sake.  And I don't need more wrinkles from the skin on my face being stretched ha ha.

Then it was Cate's turn.  She was really surprised when the Chuckles bounced into our room and I followed them in with the breakfast tray.  I didn't tell the Boys I got her a gift; I wanted it to just be between me and Cate.  They gave her their drawings and the flowers I picked up at the market yesterday, and Russell climbed up on her shoulder to give her a little ferret-kiss, ha ha.

After I shooed the kids out of the room I gave Cate her present, a little something I picked up at Tiffany.  It's cliche', I know, but I just couldn't help myself.  That gorgeous silver baby rattle, a little keepsake of this special moment in our lives as we're about to start our family.  I had it engraved with the date and the words "Soon we will be Three."

When she opened that little blue box and saw what was inside she almost started to cry.  So did I, in all honestly.  She just looked so beautiful and so happy, smiling at me, her bright blue eyes sparkling with tears.  I just had to kiss her.

So after a little baby-talk I left Cate to her breakfast and came out here to start the monumental clean-up task.  Of course the Chuckles are nowhere to be found; they must have sensed there would be chores and fled.  Actually I didn't mind.  A little peace and quiet time to myself before all Superhero-Hell breaks loose, ha ha.

It didn't last long.  I've just been ordered to hurry my ass up and finish cleaning up the dishes; the Party People are gonna be here in less than an hour, and they're gonna need the kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww! Sweet!
    Loved Cate's gift! *sob*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, I wouldn't pinched your cheek, promise! but wouldn't mind pinching something else! LMAO!!

    Cate's gift = very sweet :)

    ReplyDelete