Friday, June 17

7:30 am
Bed

Just talked to Cate.  She's at her hotel, had a long day of flying and meetings, but she's going to bed now.  Wanted to say goodnight.

I must have asked her 50 times if she's okay.  She finally told me to stop fucking asking, she's FINE, ha ha.  But I could tell from her voice she understands I'm worried.  She promised she'll call me when she wakes up, which will be afternoon here.  I definitely want to talk to her before the show.  I need to talk to her before the show, to put my mind at ease.

I just gotta trust her, have faith that she knows what she's doing.  She was right when she told me back when it happened that her getting attacked was just a case of bad Karma.  It could have happened to anybody; she wasn't targeted because of her job or anything.  She was simply a female target of opportunity for those assholes.

They picked the wrong woman.  Of course that didn't make what happened any less horrible.  But Cate did have a point -- if those thugs had picked some other woman in the bar that night they may have been successful.  Some poor girl would have suffered who knows what kind of terrible things, what kind of awful fate.  At least Cate could fight.  And she did.

Still, thinking about some asshole grabbing my wife, beating her.... it makes me sick to my stomach.   Cate swears it will never happen again; she's now hyper-aware of her surroundings and takes every possible precaution to keep herself from being a target.  But we both know she can't guarantee her safety, just like I can't guarantee my plane won't fall out of the sky.

Life is full of risks.

Now I'm gonna do what my smart, beautiful wife told me to do.  I'm gonna take a few deep breaths, I'm gonna pull up those pics of her and me on my iPhone, I'm gonna smile at the happy memories, and I'm gonna go back to sleep for a few hours.  I got a show to do later.

And I'm gonna be careful not to squish Russell.  Per Cate's orders.

Yes Dear.

4:45 pm
Venue

Just arrived for soundcheck.

Got in the van and Richie was wearing Groucho Glasses.

Better late than never, I guess, ha ha.

So long as he's the ONLY one wearing them.

7:20 pm
Dressing Room

Today's Fortune:  "Nice Pants.  Can I talk you out of them?"

Think there was a mix-up in Dawn's cookie order....

2 comments:

  1. Wait! I'm confused... That lump in his lap while he is looking at Cate's pictures is Russell? I thought it was Rocky!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, love Richie wearing the Groucho glasses now!!!!

    Don't scare Romeo and make him think "that" is Russel!!! That would traumatize the poor kid! Haha!

    ReplyDelete