Friday, June 3

12:15 am
Bed

What a great night.  Not Prom-great, mind you, but pretty cool.

Tonight was the NYPD Foundation Gala.  We spent the evening among Cate's People.  Probably wasn't a safer building in all of Manhattan than the Waldorf tonight, ha ha.

Ron was this year's Honoree, so of course I had to go.  He does so much good work to support the Cops, among his billion other projects.  Cate really enjoyed chatting with him; he invited us out to the house when I get back from Europe.  That's an invitation you can bet we'll be accepting.

It was also fantastic to see Michael and Cathy.  He's looking better, though the chemo has taken a lot out of him.  Can't supress that spirit, though.  His sense of humor was spot-on as always.

And as usual my fantastic wife stole the spotlight.  This was definitely one of those events she didn't mind going to.  Not one little bit.  She was happy as could be, chatting her way around the room, handing out business cards, doing a little "liaison" as she calls it.  I basically just held her purse and followed her around the room, ha ha.

Well, that's not completely true.  I only held her purse part of the time.  She didn't make me hang on to it when we were doing the press splash pics.  That would have been quite a look for me, my shiny Goombah suit and pretty little black satin handbag.

Had a delicious dinner, a nice program, and a little dancing to some classic Sinatra played by a great 16-piece band.  Cate and I giggled as we slow-danced about what a total 180 tonight was from last night.  Tonight we were all classy and grown-up and hobnobbing with society elite and New York's Finest.  Last night we looked like we crawled out of an 80's flick and were driving around in a muscle car, ha ha.

Variety is the spice of life, right?

Well, these old bones have had enough spice for one night (or a couple.)  Thank God Cate and I spent the whole morning napping or we never would have made it tonight.  We may not want to act our age.... but we ARE our age.

And tomorrow's another full day.  A big one.  My Baby Girl's graduation.

Yeah, I better get some sleep so I'm not a cranky, overtired emotional wreck.  I gotta hold it together tomorrow.  Nobody wants to see me cry like a little girl over my Little Girl.

But I know I will.  I just plan to do it in private.

2 comments:

  1. so Jon...when are you spilling the beans on Richie's return?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Jonny, are you still crying?

    ReplyDelete