Thursday, July 7

3:35 am
Plane

Off I go again, on a jet airplane taking me away from the ones I love.

This was the hardest goodbye yet.  Maybe because I know it's the last one for awhile.  For a long damned time, as far as I'm concerned.

I cried a little as I was driving back into the city after my date with my Daughter.  She's such an amazing young woman.  I don't know how the hell any Kid with my genes turned out so damned good.

Well, I actually do know how.  Dorothea.  She's an amazing Mother.  An amazing Woman.

It's too bad I failed her.

When I come back my Princess is gonna be packing up, ready to head to college.  She's so excited.  All through dinner we talked about the dorm she's gonna live in and the classes she signed up for and what clubs and activities she wants to get involved with.  She's gonna do so great off at that university, all on her own.

Stephie doesn't need me or her Mother anymore.  I just hope she'll always want us to be a big part of her life.  But I know she's gotta spread her wings and fly on her own.

I miss her already.

When I got home Cate already had my extra bag packed up for me, waiting by the door.  I dropped my suitcase and guitar case beside it and just wandered into the house.  I didn't know what to say to her, there was so much I wanted to tell her.  How I already had that empty ache in my heart I feel when I'm away from her.

My Wife could see how melancholy I was feeling.  She didn't say a word, just took my hand and led me out onto the terrace.  She had candles lit and a bottle of wine open and some old Soul music on the sound system, just like I like.  We danced and kissed and just held each other for a long time.

Finally around midnight I told Cate to go to bed, I was gonna just stay up and watch a movie until the car came to take me to the airport.  She was up early today and she has to work tomorrow.  But she told me no chance; she wasn't going to spend our last few hours together sleeping.

So she led me into the bedroom and we made love.  Slowly and sweetly and tenderly.  Then we laid there in each others' arms and talked about the future, about our little family.  About our Baby, who is hopefully on her way soon.  It was wonderful and romantic and bittersweet all at once, as the clock kept on ticking off the moments until I had to get up and get ready to go.

When the car came I didn't want to leave.  Cate didn't want me to go either.  So she slipped on her shoes and grabbed her keys and came down to the car with me.  We spent the ride to the airport snuggled up close together in the back seat.

Of course the drive went way too Goddamned fast since there's no traffic in the middle of the night.  All too soon we were at the terminal and I had to go.  Cate walked me in and I gave her one last long hug and kiss and made her promise to go home and get some sleep before she has another long day tomorrow.  She made me promise to call when I get to the hotel.

Of course I will.

Finally I had to let her go.  I gave Cate one last kiss and watched her walk out of the terminal and get in the car and drive away.  Then I shoved my sunglasses on my face even though it was the dead of night, so the crew couldn't see the tears in my eyes when I climbed up the steps to the jet.

21 Days.  That's how long until I get to see Cate again.  21 days, then My Baby's in my arms again, and all will be right with the World.

3 comments:

  1. Leaving is always the hardest thing when your heart is still att home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, its only 3 weeks! The high of performing will help you get through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. once again you have me in tears. dang great chapter. the way you write I can close my eyes and in my minds eye I can see what you are writing. Sign of a great writer. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete