Saturday, January 8

4:15 pm
Hamptons House

Having a great day with Cate and the kids.  Drove out this morning; picked up Steph and the Boys early and stopped for breakfast in town before coming to the house.

While we were waiting for our bacon & eggs Cate picked up one of those local "what's happening" papers and she and Steph were looking through it to see if there was anything interesting going on this weekend.  Apparently there is -- there's a charity 50's Sock Hop tonight.  And we're going.  In costume.

It was really cute when Steph discovered the ad.  She kinda gasped and squealed and said "Oh LOOK!  Cate, can we go?  PLEASE?"  Didn't bother to ask ME -- Dad Who?  Ha ha.  But Cate's reaction was equally as sweet.  Her face lit up and she almost squealed herself.  She immediately said yes we could go and then she and Steph started chattering like hyper squirrels about what they should wear, where they could find outfits before tonight, yadda yadda yadda.  The Boys and I just kinda sat there and went "Huh?"

I asked Jess if he wanted to go and he said yeah, it sounded kinda cool.   He smirked a little so I know he wants to go to check out the girls.  That's my boy, ha ha.  Jake and Romeo are always up for any kind of party, especially one where they can run around and act like goofballs, so of course they were all for the idea.  So it was decided right there at the breakfast table -- by the girls -- that we're all going as a family, and we're all going dressed up.

We spent the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon trying to figure out what to wear.  It's actually pretty easy for us guys -- we're all doing the James Dean thing.  Cuffed jeans, white t-shirts, leather jackets... and God knows there are none of THOSE things in our house, ha ha.  We did have to come up with jackets for Jake and Romey, but Steph and Cate took care of that with a trip to H&M or somewhere.  Jess is wearing one of mine.  He and I popped into the apothecary and got some hair pomade while the girls were shopping the boutiques, so we're gonna do it up right.  I'll have to teach him about proper hair care, one of the most important things a father can pass down to his son, ha ha.

I have to admit, I'm pretty excited about this.  Will be a fun family outing.  Have to be sure we get some good pictures.  And I can show off my moves on the dance floor, ha ha.  Yeah, John Travolta I ain't, but I'll at least be able to embarrass my daughter.

The girls have been all secretive and giggly all day, won't tell us what they're wearing.  If I know my wife, she won't be in a poodle skirt, ha ha.  Steph will look cute as a bug as always, but Cate will come up with some Pink Lady getup or something.  She's way more Rizzo than Sandy, ha ha.  The best part is she seems to be really having a good time with Steph, she's smiling again.  That makes me happy.

I'm being summoned by yelling little voices from the family room.  SuperMario waits for no Man.

2 comments: