Wednesday, January 5

5:30 am
Bed

Cate just left for work.  My wife, off before daybreak to do her duty.

She tried to slip out of bed and get dressed without waking me.  She woke up before the alarm.  She didn't sleep much last night; she was restless.  She was dreaming, something serious.  Not the night terrors she gets sometimes, thank God.  She didn't need to have to deal with that the night before an operation.

I knew the minute her eyes opened.  I didn't want to let her go.

Her goodbye kiss was so gentle, so sweet.  She whispered in my ear how much she loves me, and told me to go back to sleep and dream of her.

I can't sleep.  I'll be worrying about her every second until she comes home tonight, safe.

God, bring her home safe.

11:45 pm
My Office

Back home, to an empty house.  Cate's still working.

I barely heard from her today, and I worried more with each passing minute of silence.  Found myself constantly checking the news, hoping there would be no Breaking News banner with a story about some sort of a police-involved disaster.  Thank God there wasn't.

She she sent me a text around 3 pm, just one line that said "Still searching XOXO".  Apparently she didn't even have time to type a full text.  Got another one after dinner that said "Done, going into interviews, don't wait up."  That's it, that's all I heard.

Hope she's okay; I know she's running on adrenaline and caffeine, deep in the middle of the op.  She's focused on doing her job.  I have to admit I'm a little disappointed she didn't at least take a 5-minute break to call me, to hear my voice and to tell me she's okay or busy or tired or pissed or whatever.

Guess I'll take her advice, I won't wait up.  I'll go to bed and watch late night TV and wish she was there beside me.  Hope she's there in the morning when I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment