Monday, March 28

5:30 pm
Jersey House

Just got back from a fun day out.  Made a fire, sitting here warming up my toes and my frozen ass.  It may look like Spring out there, but it sure as Hell AIN'T.

Picked up the Kiddos at Dorothea's this morning then headed out here to just hang at the big house for a couple days.  It was Cate's idea, and I was more than ready to agree to it.  I think she needed to get out of the apartment, get a little fresh air and peace and quiet.  Well, if it's possible to have peace and quiet with the Chuckleheads running around.

Last night was rough.  I didn't sleep much, neither did Cate. Every time she moved she woke up.  That's the problem with rib injuries; if you even breathe hard it hurts, let alone move a body part.  She's trying to gut things out, not use painkillers anymore than she has to.  Last night she said she didn't want to be all foggy for my first night home; she wanted to have a glass of wine and cuddle up with me.  So she didn't take her meds.

And so she also didn't sleep.  Stubborn damned woman.  She's as bad as me.

It was also rough because try as I might, I just couldn't stop thinking about what happened to Cate.  It was like I was replaying some awful movie in my head, over and over and over.  I just couldn't make it go away.  I was about ready to take one of Cate's sleeping pills until I remembered I shouldn't take any kind of meds because of my surgery on Friday.  So I just laid there and held Cate's hand and listened to her breathe and tried to sleep.

We're both tired today.  Tonight's gonna be an early night.

But we did get out and get some fresh air.  After we picked up the kids we stopped at the Diner for lunch, then drove out to Great Swamp and hiked one of the wildlife trails.  Well, between my leg and Cate's ribs it was more of hobble/stroll than a hike, but you get the picture.  We pretty much stuck to the trail and took it slow and let the Chuckleheads run around like lunatics, burn off their energy.

I had the camera with me; got some great photos of some birds and wildlife.  Mostly birds; all the animals with any damned common sense were still hibernating, ha ha.  Saw a few squirrels and even a muskrat.  Romeo thought it was an otter, argued with me about it for fifteen minutes until finally Cate pulled up a picture of a muskrat on her phone and showed it to Romey.

Of course, if Cate says it's a muskrat, it's a damned muskrat.  Hell, she could tell Romeo that thing was a unicorn and he'd agree.  Because it's her.  Gotta say one thing about my littlest Boy -- he really does love his StepMama.  It's sweet they way they've bonded.  Makes me happy.  

We had a little moment of crisis when Russell got loose and tried to run off to play with the muskrat.  Good Grief.  That kid comes up with the most crazy-ass ideas about that imaginary pet of his.  Of course Cate coaxed the crazy little weasel-figment back with some quick thinking, then told Romeo she wanted to carry Russell in her sling for the rest of the hike.  Romey was more than happy to let her do that.  He wanted to be sure Cate felt better, since she was hurt.

It was a little bit of a shock for Dorothea and the kids this morning when Cate walked in the door.  Steph was probably the most shaken up; she immediately rushed over to Cate and asked her what happened.  Romeo looked a little scared until I sat down and let him crawl on my lap.  He didn't quite know what to think about Cate's sling or the bruises on her face.

Cate was great; she sat everybody down and told them the story about the taxicab crash.  I couldn't watch her while she did it--I was sure my expression would give away that the whole story was a lie.  I think Dorothea noticed; she gave me a little raised-eyebrow look and I just shook my head.  I wonder if she'll ask Cate about it later.

Anyway, the kids were all worried about her and relieved she was okay.  Jakey asked if he could see her stitches.  Good Lord.  But Cate was game, she pulled back her hair and showed him the spot where they had to shave part of her scalp to put in the stitches.  It's healing pretty well so it's not gory at all.  I think Jake was a little disappointed, ha ha.

But then he made my heart melt when he asked Cate if her bruises hurt.  She said not really, but her ribs and her shoulder are still sore.  And my Boy leaned over and gave her a kiss on the cheek, said he hopes that helps make it better.

He's gonna be even smoother than Jess, that one.

So anyway, throughout our day together the kids have been keeping an eye on Cate and occasionally one of them will ask her a question about her injuries or about the "crash."  Except Jesse.  He has hardly said a word.  This morning he told Cate that he's glad she's okay and he was sorry about the accident, but since then he's been really quiet.  Wonder what that's about?  May have to talk to him later.

Now Cate and Steph and Romeo are in the kitchen making dinner. Cate can't do a lot with her arm in a sling so she's teaching Steph how to make Chicken Parmesan.  She's giving the directions; Steph is doing the cooking.  And Romeo is probably driving them both crazy, repeating everything Cate says.

Just hope Russell doesn't get his little ferret-feet all over my dinner, ha ha.

We have a big day planned tomorrow -- Romey's birthday.  Cate came up with the most amazing birthday present for him.  When she told me about it I was just blown away.  Romey's gonna freak -- it will be so fun to see his reaction.

Cate set the whole thing up herself, after she asked Dorothea if it would be okay.  Of course D said it was fine.  She's not going to come with us, but she's gonna meet us afterwards and we'll go have a little pizza party for dinner.  And Cate won't be able to fully participate since she's got the bum arm, but she said she'll be the videographer.  I definitely want to get this on video.

My Little Guy's gonna be 7.  I can't believe it.

Think I'm gonna wander into the kitchen and see if I can steal a snack before dinner.  And maybe a kiss or three from my Wife.

5 comments:

  1. Awww, what a nice family day!
    I'm worried about Jesse...somethings up....

    Now, what is Romeo's birthday surprise?!?!?! Inquiring minds wanna know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon repeat after me.....RUSSELL IS AN IMAGINARY FERRET...HE DOES NOT EXIST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon you might think of buying Russell a leash!! Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moment of crisis when russell wanted to play with the otter...hahahahahaha...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love hearing about Russel!!! It cracks me up! Can't wait to hear about Romeo's Bday!

    ReplyDelete