Thursday, March 31

10:45 am
Living Room

Waiting for Cate to finish getting ready to go out.

Today's just for us.  Just Cate and me, spending the day together, nobody else.  No kids, no friends.  Just us.

We have a lot to talk about, a lot to catch up on.  Things have been so busy since I got back, spending time with the kids, Romeo's birthday, dealing with the fallout from my big mouth... we haven't had time to talk about us.  About what's happening tomorrow.  And beyond.

Last night was interesting.  We had that family conference over dinner, which somehow turned into a marathon  session.  I swear, it was like a damned Committee meeting with opening remarks and moderated discussion and breakout sessions, ha ha.  By the time we were done I was exhausted and cussing myself for being so stupid as to open my big piehole in the first place.

But I guess it was all good.  Like Cate said, I was gonna have to explain myself anyway, considering I'm gonna be laid up for the next few weeks.

We came back here for dinner, ordered in Chinese.  Dorothea and Cate decided I should be the one to kick off the discussion since I was the common denominator in this whole thing.  When the three of us were trying to figure out how to deal with this Cate said "Hey, Baby... it's your sperm, it's your dime."  Dorothea about busted a gut at that.  Actually, it made me laugh too.

So I told all the kids that I guess it's not exactly breaking news, but Cate and I decided we want to try to have a baby.  Steph was funny; she kinda squealed and clapped and said "Yay!"  Like she didn't already know.   Goofy little actress.

I gave them a really basic little pep-talk about how Cate and I love each other and we'd really like to share that love by having a child and that we hope all the kids will be excited about having a new brother or sister.  I kinda had to remember to keep it simple for Jake and Romeo, and to be sure I was clear about what was happening.  The Chuckles were typical -- just a shrug and an "okay" while they chowed down on their lo mein.

So then Cate and Dorothea talked a little bit, about how our family will change but in a good way.  We all agreed earlier not to make this a big deal, to just keep it low-key.  But once the questions started coming it kinda took over the evening.

After we finished eating I took Jakey and Romeo into the living room and we sat and talked a little bit.  Jakey had a few questions, and I could tell he was a little uncomfortable with the idea of a new baby, especially a girl.  I'm sure underlying his anxiety was worry that he and I won't get to spend as much time together once a baby arrives. Jake and I have always had a special bond.  When Dorothea and I split it was really hard on him, us not living under the same roof anymore.  I did my best to reassure him that he will always be my Buddy and promised we'll still have our time together.  But I still had a healthy dose of guilt when I said it.

As for Romeo, he wasn't the least bit concerned.  Russell, however, was afraid a new baby might pull his tail. Good grief.  So I ended up talking more to Russell than to Romeo, and I had to hold him on my lap and tell him everything would be fine and promise him that the new baby would really like animals, especially ferrets.

So after the Boys it was time to talk to Steph.  I went in her room and we talked for awhile, but it was more about me cautioning her not to get too excited and asking her to keep things under wraps.  I also explained to her that I'm having the reversal surgery done tomorrow.  She was a little worried about that, but we talked it out.  I wasn't nearly as detailed as I was with Jess, and she didn't press for more info.  But we did talk about the fact that it might be hard for Cate to get pregnant because we're both older and it might take some time for both our bodies to get in sync.  Steph was very sweet, and said she thinks its wonderful Cate and I want to have a baby.  And she volunteered free babysitting, ha ha.

We also talked a little about Dorothea, about how our relationship hopefully won't change because of Cate's and my family plans.  Steph said she thinks her Mom might be a little sad but it's not because of Cate and me; it's like I said, she just realizes this is the end of another chapter in our relationship.  I asked Steph to keep an eye on her Mom and let me know if she's worried.  Of course Steph said she would.  She and Dorothea certainly have their struggles, but they have a great bond.  I'm proud that my daughter is so much like her Mother.

After Steph I checked in with Jess.  He didn't really have anything else to say, just that he hopes everything works out and that he hopes I'm not in too much pain tomorrow.  Thanks, Kid.  Trying not to think about that.

So once we finally got everybody talked to and herded out the door Cate and I had some time to ourselves.  We poured a couple glasses of wine and sat down in front of the fire and just relaxed.  Cate took off her sling and snuggled up with me and we held each other and talked a little.

Then Cate started teasing me.  I told her to stop, it had already been two weeks and it was gonna be a damned long month ahead, since I won't be able to make love to her for at least three weeks after my surgery.  She asked me why I wanted her to stop and I said because I knew I couldn't make love to her tonight, because I didn't want to hurt her.

Cate just giggled and said she felt just fine, she took a pain pill and her ribs didn't hurt and her shoulder felt pretty good.  And just because she was a little banged up didn't mean she didn't want to be "banged up" another way.   Then she started undressing me.

Well Jesus... what was I supposed to do?  I couldn't imagine how the hell I was supposed to make love to her without hurting her.  After all, I couldn't lay on top of her, couldn't hug or squeeze her, and let's face it... good sex involves at least a little thrusting.   Not to mention that if I was gonna be any good at it and fulfill her, it would involve at least some heavy breathing and moaning, which was probably gonna hurt her ribs.

So I held out as long as I could.  But Superman was having none of it.  When Cate undid my jeans and slipped her hand inside that was it.  My willpower crumbled.  So I followed her to the bedroom and helped her undress and slid into bed with her.  It took a little bit but we found a comfortable position, took it slow and easy.

And it was fantastic.

My Wife is fantastic.

And now my Fantastic Wife is standing in the kitchen, smiling at me while she gets her purse together to go out.  Off to lunch first, then some errands.

Gotta pick up a couple bags of peas.


5:55 pm
Kitchen

Wow, they caught the Bronx Zoo Cobra.  It was in the Reptile House all along.

Well Thank God.  I bet Russell's relieved.

6 comments:

  1. Pea's work just don't get the kind that has little cubed carrots in them. Corn works too. Had a parent when I was in Day Care come in all excited her husband was having, as she called it, a nip tuck. I think it was like two months later she comes in all pissed, seemed she was pregnant. I was like I didn't think that could happen with a nip tuck. She said he didn't go back to check his count and oops she got pregnant. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jonny, ShopRite frozen veggies are on sale! LOL!
    Hope they're not putting you under general tomorrow! Would hate to see anything happen to those vocal cords....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon, you don't need another baby, just officially adopt Russell ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last line! I'm sure Russell is very relieved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon, we've discussed Russell before...do I need to remind you?

    Good luck with your little surgery! Hope it's not all for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lmao! I thought it was hilarious earlier that jon had to hold russell on his lap to explain that the baby would love ferrets...and then come back to read the last line! I love it...russell is so one of the family!

    Are we sure russell is romeos friend and not jons? Hehehe.

    Hoping all goes smoothly with the surgery tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete