Sunday, March 13

8:30 pm
Living Room

Sitting here watching the fire.  Fire is a fascinating thing.  It breathes, it eats, it lives....

I sound like DeNiro in Backdraft.

Good to be back home for a couple days.  Cate and I had a nice time in DC, the dinner was interesting.  In all honesty my heart wasn't really in it.  I just wanted to go back to the hotel and burrow into bed again with Cate.  We even ducked out early and blew off the unofficial after-party in the hotel bar.  I've done enough parties in the past couple months to last me awhile.

I'm just tired of being in public.  I need some time alone.

Cate had a nice little surprise for me this morning.  She told me before we went down to DC that we were having breakfast this morning with her FBI buddy Nick.  And so we did.  But turns out breakfast was at a little place across the street from FBI HQ, and after we grabbed some coffee and a bagel Nick took us inside the Hoover Building for a private tour.

It was really cool -- I've never been in there before.  I know Cate's been there a bunch of times, so it was no big thing for her.   But it was obvious she was getting a kick out of watching me.  She was happy she was able to do something sweet and unexpected for me.  Kinda like I was happy to do the spa thing for her.  Well, for us.

We wandered through the building for a couple hours, Nick showing me all the cool memorabilia and displays and telling me some great legends.  But the best part was at the end, when he took us down to the indoor firing range.  He opened up the armory and set Cate and I up with guns and ammo and we had a great time shooting.  At least I did -- again, not exactly a big deal for my Wife the former Firearms Instructor, ha ha.

It brought back a lot of sweet memories.  I'm proud to say I did pretty damned well, remembered most of what she taught me.  But I pretended to be unsure so she'd slide up behind me and mold her body against mine and wrap her hand over mine on the gun.  It felt really, really good.  I got that same charge I did the very first time she did that to me.  But this time I kept my aim, ha ha.

And this time she let me kiss her without trying to kick my ass, like she did back when I was in training, ha ha.

After a really fun morning we went back to the Ritz and got our bags and hopped the train back home.  Stopped by Dorothea's to see the kiddos, spent a few hours there, then came home.  I've just been hanging around the house tonight, reading and goofing around on the computer.  Now I'm waiting for Cate to get her stuff together for work tomorrow, so we can watch a movie.

She has to go in to the office early and may be home late again, depending on what's up with this new case of hers.  I hope it doesn't completely consume her this week; I want to spend some time with her before I head to Texas in a couple days.

After all, it's only 3 weeks until the big day, when we take the first step on the road to making her a Mommy.

1 comment:

  1. Awww!!! I loved the last sentence! Hoping they will have a very happy mother's day....well, maybe not that fast... how about a very happy Father's day!!!

    ReplyDelete